In this week’s class, we had Jeff Hopkins as a guest speaker. He is the principal of the Pacific School of Innovation and Inquiry. I really liked how we discussed learning through inquiry in our previous class, and then we learned about a school based on it this week. One thing I learned from this class was about steps that are involved in the inquiry process. These steps are very helpful and are a great way to work on an inquiry project. The first step involves developing some questions, then doing some research. After that you develop more, new questions based on what you learned, and then you develop some learning outcomes. I feel that this is a good way to set up for a project.

Something I also like about this inquiry-based learning is that it allows students to have more of a say in their work, and it is more about what they want to do. All learners are different, have different interests, and have different ways of learning that work best for them. Also, allowing the students to create their own goals for their work and learning will help them because they are not being assessed in one specific way that is the same for all the other students. I believe that providing the students with less structure will allow them to succeed in their own way because they are not being told exactly what and how they have to do something. This method of education would be great for so many students and I hope that someday there are more schools like this one. I would be very interested in spending some time in an inquiry-based school to learn more about and observe how it works

.

Photo by Jeswin Thomas on Unsplash