During this class, we had a discussion about what we use videos for, and it got me thinking about what I have used them for. I have used lots of videos to learn how to cook different meals or bake different items. I have done this for many years, and I have continued to use videos for my inquiry project this term. I have also watched videos in the past to help me figure out something with the car I was driving. I drive my dad’s truck, and I had a question about how to turn something on. I was out and knew that I could call him, but instead decided to quickly look up a video, which helped answer my question. Another situation with a car that I used a video for was about changing a tire. I have not needed to do this on my own, but I was with my friend a couple of years ago and they got a flat tire. We had someone come to help, but I decided to watch a video so I had some knowledge for the future. I use videos all the time to help me learn about different skills, tasks, and things I am trying to do. Videos are so helpful and with a simple search, you can find something to help with almost anything you need. Another example of something I have used videos for in the past is to help me with school. I have used Khan Academy to help explain topics I was learning in physics and calculus, for example. I have also used Crash Course videos a lot to help me understand different science topics in high school, as well as psychology in university.

I believe that videos are a great resource and can be used to help students learn and to help teachers teach. They can be used as an alternative method of teaching to give students a change from the teacher talking to them Videos can provide students with a new explanation, which may help some of them if they were having trouble understanding something they were learning. Videos can also be used to get students’ attention during class because of the visual stimulation.

Something else I really liked from this class was when we learned about all the features there are and what you can do with a YouTube video. I knew how to add captions and change the speed, but I learned how to share the video and how to start it from a certain time, which will be helpful in the future.

Photo by Alexander Shatov on Unsplash